Up to 90% of Employers Ignore Cover Letters
Now don't panic, that statistic is actually great for you!
Once you understand how to write an attention-getting cover letter that gets read, you will be ahead of 90% of your competition for the job.
Don't be misled by the free templates online. They begin: " I read with interest your job posting for a ..." Since many people use this beginning, it is no wonder that Hiring Managers and Recruiters say that 99% of all cover letters are NOT attention getting and almost 90% GET IGNORED.
Once you complete this course you will know how to be attention getting. This skill can put you ahead of virtually everyone who is applying.
Here's an idea of what is covered in this course.
Part 1. Research - How I do it and why it works
- Company websites, Mission Statements, About Us, CEO Bio, Career Page, In The News, User testimonials.
- Understand their “Pain Point.”
- Review Your Resume for Matches
Part 2. Writing - Don't be afraid, you can do this,too.
- You have Six Seconds to Grab attention
- Start at the “High Point of Drama.”
- Everything is about them
- Solve their Problem
Part 3. Review and Focus - What to think about as you go through the process (and why)
- Are you showing how you and the company share the same values?
- Does your opening get the attention of the reader?
- Does each word/sentence move the person towards picking up the phone and calling you for a face-to-face interview?
Part 4. How to put it into practice - PLUS SAMPLES and Actual Attention-Getting Cover Letters with notes on each one
- Know WHY letters crafted using my easy to learn techniques, really work.
- Learn the best way to select bullet points for your cover letter
- Where to start to write an attention-getting cover letter
- A complete wrap up of what we covered
- Actual cover letters that landed interviews. Each one has notes on it giving more information about why it was constructed.
- Look over my shoulder as I go step by step building an attention getting cover letter. I start with the job URL, and then walk you through the steps and more importantly, my thought process as I create a cover letter.
- You can hear me thinking out loud as I go step-by-step from the very beginning.
Get started now!
"Joel wrote a specific targeted cover letter for a job I was pursuing which was, like the resume, very strong and specific in presenting me as the right candidate. And then he was willing to share insights on the specific research he did and how that led to the way he approached the letter.
What I appreciate about Joel’s work on my behalf was that I got a lot more than just excellent end products (a resume & cover letter). You could say he was as interested in teaching me about the fishing as he was in just giving me a couple."
- S.Gaines - Virginia
"It is my pleasure to recommend Joel Quass as an outstanding resume writer. I found Joel through a professional contact, which is also a recommendation in itself. Joel is a consummate professional, taking the time to understand his clients’ needs so he can masterfully tailor their resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles.
A sure step above the rest, I recommend the services of Joel Quass without hesitation."
- S. Ramkeesoon, Washington, DC
"I'm not very good at promoting myself." Have you ever felt that way? Many people are like you. They have valuable skills, but don't feel comfortable "bragging" about them.
My clients and those taking my courses, have me to help with that. I stand beside you, giving you permission to be great.
With 35+ years of "other side of the desk" experience, I know what you need to do to be successful in your job search.
I have been in your shoes. What I discovered almost 30 years ago works even better today. I had five jobs offers. I got to choose, rather than crossing my fingers and hoping someone would pick me.
In my career, I have read over 5,000 resumes and/or applications, interviewed thousands of applicants and promoted and mentored hundreds of employees. Many have gone from entry level positions to senior management and beyond. I know what works in the hiring process and I know what doesn't.
I began my Six Second Resumes Business in 2010. I have three certifications and have offered programs for the NJDOL, colleges and open workshops. I have reviewed resumes at National Career Fair Events in New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and Maryland.
My hiring experience has been on the operations side. My career includes seven years as a store manager for Best Products, and 27 1/2 years as a Senior Manager for Costco Wholesale. I recently retired from Costco to spend more time helping people learn the skills they need to land their dream job.